Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

3 Step Plan to Motivate Online or Home Based Entrepreneurs

The 3 Step Plan for Motivating Home or Online Business Owners
By Don Paul Fuller

Do you wake up in the morning full of energy, but find that, by the time you start work you're flatter than a pancake? Or, perhaps you’re flying, and then a challenge surfaces, and you crash and burn?
Do you find that your self-talk (we all do it) drags you down? Do you question your abilities or your chances for success?
If you answered yes, or maybe or sometimes to the questions, you need motivation - a lot!


As a student of motivational speakers I have attended some of the great conferences and self improvement seminars. Tony Robbins and the late great Jim Rohn have been instrumental to my success and while I am not a huge fan of “mass frenzy” there is no doubt that such techniques leave participants exhilarated and motivated.


But I question the longevity of such an approach to self motivation – by its nature it is external, and once the event is over, the exhilaration fades rapidly. At the Sydney Robbins events significant portions of the audience are repeat “offenders” in need of their motivational “fix”


I recommend a personal approach – you need to be your own motivational speaker – so to speak.


Your mind and your thoughts are things over which you can have absolute control, if you want. While you may need techniques, like neuro-linquistic programming (NLP) in order to effect change in your mental habits, don’t abdicate the content of your thoughts to a self help guru. You risk dependency on someone else, and their goals will differ significantly from yours.


But beware! Your thoughts can be lethal to positive thinking – most people have by default a negative state of mind.


I use a combination of techniques – NLP is helpful, as is visualization, and affirmations. But the technique I use the most and that I find most effective is relaxation and meditation.


In the early morning, after dressing for exercise, I first go for a slow walk. During the course of the walk, I focus on my breathing – in through the nose, out through the mouth and concentrate on only my breathing for 5 minutes or so. At some point I will notice that I am feeling relaxed, and calm. This is when I focus on those things in my life for which I am grateful. I dwell on my family, on the places I love, the people I love. The feelings I experience can approach euphoria at this point.
Action time – continuing to focus on those feelings, I gradually increase my pace until I am jogging or running at about 80% maximum – I could speak, but not easily. I continue at this pace for another 5 minutes.

Then I slow to a walk again, and focus on my breathing for another 5 minutes or so. I am then ready for anything!
You may find another form of exercise or relaxation works for you – the important factors are: focus – breathing – focus – happy thoughts – focus – breathing


After this, I review my plan for the day, and visualize (imagine) positive outcomes for all activities – I “see” these outcomes. The important thing is, don’t visualize too far in the future – there are many distractions to come that will change the desired outcomes, some positively.


And then, I am ready for the day.


At times, I will need to repeat the focus on breathing and gratitude during the day, if distractions start to affect my positive attitude. If I find that I am experiencing negative thoughts I may repeat the entire process, but usually the breathing/gratitude cycle is sufficient to return me to peak performance.


Try this and you will go a long way in turning your annual income into a monthly income…

No comments:

Post a Comment